Welcome to the AWVA on the Web!
Our mission is to provide a meeting place for local Woodturners to share ideas, techniques, and to educate the general public regarding the art of wood turning. This is accomplished, in part, with meetings where demonstrations are conducted by AVWA members and guest woodturners.
25 people attended January's meeting, where the club hosted a silent auction.
For more information, see the January newsletter.
The AVWA is open to anyone who would like to try their hand at turning beautiful items from wood. The club meets at 9:00 A.M. the third Saturday of odd numbered months; the time and location of the next meeting is listed on the right side of this site. Non-member Woodturners and guests are welcome to attend meetings as observers.
The Antelope Valley Woodturners' Association (AVWA) is a chapter of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW). Benefits of becoming an AAW member include:
- Six issues of American Woodturner annually
- Automatic participation in periodic drawings for prizes
- Access to all past issues of American Woodturner through the Members Only Area
- Access to machine-readable American Woodturner issues for those members who are visually impaired, and use computer screen reading software
- Group rates for health and life insurance (US members only)
- AAW members receive bodily injury insurance for chapter-affiliated demonstrations or events under the liability insurance that AAW provides to local chapters
- Savings of up to 50% on AAW merchandise, including project books, DVDs, logo apparel
- Eligibility to apply for AAW Educational Opportunity Grants
- AAW Forum and member-only access to articles and resources on the AAW website
- Eligible to vote in AAW board elections if a member prior to the end of August in that year
- Eligibility to apply for membership in the Professional Outreach Program (POP)
- Access to POP Fellowship grants
- Exhibit opportunities - AAW members may enter work for the annual juried member exhibit featured at the Symposium, the Gallery of Wood Art in St. Paul and other art venues
- Annual International AAW Woodturning Symposium
- Access to apply for demonstration opportunities at AAW Symposiums
- AAW Resource Directory ("green" version available online), which contains a complete listing of contact information for members, local chapters, demonstrators, and other woodturning resources. Updated listings are also available to members through the AAW website.
- Over 300 AAW local chapters offer workshops, camaraderie, opportunities to share ideas and techniques, and access to lending libraries, discounts, and volume purchases